‘An adjective only holds as much power as you let it’
I said, ‘oh I’m not really creative’. I have been saying that for as long as I can remember. And when I said it I believed it, whole-heartedly. Now looking back I may be one of the most creative people known, and I express it in so many ways.
I have always been drawn to art whether it is architecture, jewelry, music, light trickling through the trees, paintings or life itself. I love feeling a rush of different emotions, and decoding what each means to me. Feeling to me is the greatest gift in the world, to decipher between them and feel raw, un-numbed lust or awe – that is what life is all about. So naturally art brings me all these feelings.
I have always said that I am not ‘artsy or creative’. Now that I have ventured out and pursued things I truly want to, I realize I have always loved art.
- My Nana always had a craft box and everyday I’d create something, regardless if it was a drawing, a weird animal, plasticine creatures, or pompoms.
- My Nana also taught me how to knit and sew. Seriously this woman did it all. I still sew from time to time, like last year I made myself a pillow case. But I have long forgotten how to knit, something my sister will have to reteach me.
- I used to make and sell beaded jewelry to a very popular gift gallery in my small town growing up. I did it for a few years and realized that everyone in town was wearing my creations. What an amazing feeling.
- I began photography in 2013 when I got my first DSLR camera… and that was that. I was hooked.
- As I travelled around the UK in 2014 I took photos of dozens of unique doors, when I got back I created a large collage of them, and it hangs proudly in my apartment.
- Last year I bought wooden letters that said ‘TRAVEL’ and decorated each of them differently – one with buttons, hand braided macrome, shells, floral fabric and twine.
- I began writing poetry last year, and that itself is an art form. I’m not saying I’m good at it, but it has been an incredible way to express myself and find clarity and piece of mind.
So, up until this day I always said I wasn’t ‘creative’ or ‘artsy’ but I have gained a new perspective. If you define yourself as what you are, and what you are not, you will never fully understand yourself and your capabilities.
Now get out there and express yourself.